It’s important that all gas installation and repairs on caravans and RVs are completed by a licensed gasfitter. Not only does this ensure that the work is done correctly but also to minimise the risk of the occupants being poisoned by carbon monoxide. 

 

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that is both odourless and colourless. It is a potentially lethal by-product from burning the gas used by your caravan and RV cooking and heating appliances. Well maintained appliances, heaters and gas lines should not have any leaks or allow CO gas to escape into the internal areas but occasionally the ability for it to escape inside the caravan or RV happens.  Carbon Monoxide levels can build up quickly or slowly inside the caravan or RV interior and because there is no odour to this gas, people don’t realise they are being poisoned by it. 

 

CO is measured in parts per million (ppm). Side effects experienced from CO poisoning increase with exposure levels can include:

 

  • 100 ppm exposure = slight headaches, nausea and fatigue (feeling like you have the flu).
  • 200 ppm exposure = Dizziness and headaches within 2-3 hours.
  • 400ppm exposure = Nausea, headaches, drowsiness, confusion, rapid heart rate. There is a risk to your life if this exposure is longer than 3 hours.
  • 800 ppm exposure = Severe headaches, convulsions, failure of vital organs and the possibility of death within 2-3 hours of exposure.

 

Installing a CO alarm inside your caravan or RV will help keep you safe from CO poisoning. These alarms are battery operated so they keep running even during a power outage. They have a simple test and reset button and are an easy DIY installation. They constantly measure the CO ppm inside the caravan or RV and sound a loud alarm, similar to a smoke detector, when the ppm becomes too high for you to remain in your caravan or RV.

 

CO2 Monitors are available to purchase at Bold TCRC. Order yours to be delivered or drop into the shop to purchase one.